"Lone Star Historian 2" is a blog about the travels and activities of the State Historian of Texas during his second year. Bill O'Neal was appointed to a two-year term by Gov. Rick Perry on August 22, 2012, at an impressive ceremony in the State Capitol. Bill is headquartered at Panola College (www.panola.edu) in Carthage, where he has taught since 1970. For more than 20 years Bill conducted the state's first Traveling Texas History class, a three-hour credit course which featured a 2,100-mile itinerary. In 2000 he was awarded a Piper Professorship, and in 2012 he received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Wild West Historical Association. Bill has published over 40 books, almost half about Texas history subjects, and in 2007 he was named Best Living Non-Fiction Writer by True West Magazine. In 2013 he was awarded an honorary Doctor of Letters degree by his alma mater, Texas A&M University - Commerce.
|Bugler John Thompson|
|Barbara Westbrook and Tom Green|
Tom Green, of the Sons of the Republic of Texas, San Jacinto Chapter, has been instrumental in organizing the annual celebrations of the Battle of Medina, and he served as emcee throughout the day. There was an invocation by Rev. James Taylor, Chaplain General of the Texas Sons of the American Revolution. A color guard made up of re-enactors presented the colors, including the Lone Star Flag, the Green Flag of the Gutierrez-Magee revolutionaries, the U.S. Flag (of the War of 1812 era), and the Flag of Spain. Tom Green introduced a number of guests, including the Texas State Historian and Bill McWhorter, Military Sites Director of the Texas State Historical Commission. Reverend Taylor provided a memorial statement and prayer on behalf of the men who died at the Battle of Medina. A salute of three volleys was fired by the re-enactors, followed by “Taps” played by John Thompson, Former President of the Fredonia Sons of the American Revolution Chapter.
|Judge Robert Hurley|
|Bill McWhorter of the THC|
|Docent Jolynn Casias|
|The Old Rock School was built in 1874. |
Pleasanton's first schoolhouse.
Interview by Johnny Rowland with Bill O'Neal