Tuesday, April 10, 2018

National Library Week

During the first two days of National Library Week, Sunday and Monday, April 8 and 9, it was my privilege to participate in events at two libraries. I began a rewarding and enjoyable series of library adventures 70 years ago, in 1948 at the Corsicana Public Library. As a first-grader I received a library card at my home town library, and I've been a regular patron of research libraries throughout a lifetime of writing non-fiction books. So it was my pleasure to be involved in library events on back-to-back days.

A few weeks ago I received a welcome invitation from Michael Barera, Archivist at the James Gee Library at Texas A&M University in Commerce. Last year Michael helped me with a research problem on short notice regarding John Chisum, and before that we met on the TAMUC campus when I addressed the Cross Timber Library Association. Michael is a Board Member of the Friends of the Library of the Commerce Public Library. He contacted me with the unexpected news that I had been inducted into the Commerce Public Library's Author's Park, a brick "walk of fame" in a small park adjacent to the historic library building, which opened 100 years ago, in 1918, as the U.S. Post Office. Michael explained that Author's Park is how the Commerce Public Library honors authors, musicians, and other artists associated with the city.
 
 
 
 

I came to Commerce during the 1960s, earning two degrees at East Texas State University, and in 2013 I was awarded an honorary Doctor of Letters Degree. Through the years I've participated in numerous other events in Commerce. The other Author's Park inductee for 2018 was Tina Fletcher Selvaggi, artist and author. Tina and I were welcomed by a crowd which included Friends of the Library, Library Director Gayle Gordon, Commerce Mayor Wyman Williams, and Dr. Keith McFarland, former president of TAMUC.


 



With fellow recipient, Dr. Tina Fletcher Selvaggi

Commerce Mayor Wyman Williams
 
 It was especially nice that April 8 was my birthday. My daughter, Berri Gormley, earned three degrees at TAMUC and is an administrator at the university. Her husband, Drew Gormley, holds an MBA from TAMUC. Berri and Drew brought their children, Addison, Reagan and Nolan, to Commerce on Sunday for a birthday lunch with me, and afterward we all went to the library. Following the ceremony in Author's Park, everyone went into the library for a reception, and I was delighted that the refreshment table included a birthday cake.




Library patron Reagan Gormley


With Michael Barera
The next day I was at the M.P. Baker Library on the Panola College campus in Carthage. The library hosted a program/signing of my two new books, Frontier Forts of Texas (Arcadia Publications) and John Chisum, Frontier Cattle King (Eakin Press). For the second day in a row I enjoyed a crowd made up of book lovers and library supporters. Following a gracious introduction by Library Director Cristie Ferguson, I described the new books to a receptive audience. Refreshments were provided, and afterward I had the gratifying experience of signing a great many books to those in attendance. 
Using a replica carbine to discuss "Frontier Forts of Texas"
Close-up on a Jinglebob spur




No comments:

Post a Comment